See You at the Crossroads...




Since I didn't get accepted into the New York Teaching Fellows Programs, I've been at a crossroads. Not getting into the programs has made me think...am I supposed to be a teacher? Or is that my sign to get into something else? I've always wanted to be a writer, and I truly enjoy doing it. However, I don't see myself making a that a full-time career at this point - it's something that I enjoy strictly for the fun of it. Sooo...now we're back to square one: What do I wanna be when I grow up? (I only say that phrase because I haven't figured out what I want to do just yet).

Here are my options:

- Teacher: I love working with kids and I want to help them become better people. I would like to work with kids in the inner-city because they need the most help and since I was went to school in a district that was considered to have a large low-income population. I was lucky to have some teachers & parents who cared. The downside: I'm not sure if I have the patience to deal with the kids on a long term basis; with that being said, I don't want to be a disservice to the kids.

- Doctor: I always have a love for medicine and the sciences. I also have great people and communication skills. My bachelors degree is already in Kinesiology, so I would just have some more additional science courses that would take about a year before beginning medical school. The downside...the additional 4+ years of schooling. That's it. I'm positive I can handle everything else...

- Another alternative: Physician Assistant. Again it's in the medical field, and I would be working with people. It offers a great salary ($75,000 - $84,000) and I would have to do about 2 more years of school. The downside: if I am going to do this, I might as well go to medical school.

I can't imagine doing anything else, so now you see my dilemma. What to do...so many options...

1 comments:

Ms. T said...

HI

Well I understand your pain. I feel the same way although i am working. Although blessed to have a decent paying job, my co workers and this company are so disfunctional. I think that although going back to school puts us in debt, ti in the long run can pay off. I want to finish my masters b/c all the jobs i have been seeing latley which are at the pay I want to reach, require a graduate certificte or degree. I need it just have lost motivation and need to regain it!!! As far as advice, i think you would be a great teacher because you are a realist and very knowledgable and use common sense on various subjects. All the careers you have chosen are ways to go and they pay good, you just have to set a plan of how you will get there. Does it mean returning to graduate school? Does it mean taking a pay cut? Does it mean moving to another town, city, state etc? You have to decide where to start, its like writing a book, you have to see an ending or at least a conclusion for it to happen. Do research online, network with connections of places you may want to work, stay active looking for jobs every day even if it seems repetative.

Try going back to school maybe to get a certification. Stay positive whatever the case.

Don't Jack my ISH!!!