I Believe That Children are the Future...



There is one thing that I am really passionate about...and that is young people. Kids are the most honest people in the world and it's so refreshing to hear their thoughts about stuff. They are usually so un-biased, and believe it or not, they are usually on the money with their observations. Most of the time, people don't give them a chance - they write them off and treat them like crap. I always fight for the underdog, that's why I'm such an advocate for kids...and the biggest reason why I wanted to be a teacher in the inner-city. But lately, I've been seeing a lot of stuff that literally wants to be sing like Marvin Gaye..."Makes me wanna holler, and throw up my hands."

After losing my job in the insurance industry, I had a hard time getting a job; but I have one as a scorer for a testing company. Basically, I score state standardized tests for the 8th grade level; when I read these papers it just depresses me. They are from all over the state, and from all different school districts. You can CLEARLY see the difference of students in rich and poor school districts...and it breaks my heart.Here's an example; one day while I was reading these essays, I noticed that there were a majority of misspelled words. Now, I know that I'm not Akilah and the Bee...but these words are basic...I wrote them down. Take a look...

conquer - concur
courage - curaj
father - faughther
obstacle - opstickal
doubt - daut
experience - expereenz
innocent - inknowsent
rely - relie

A majority of the kids are doomed. They lack the basic reading, writing & comprehension skills in order to be successful; and they are in the 8th grade...if they are struggling in 8th grade, you know it's over when they get into high school. If they can't read & write, you damn sure can't expect them to do math and other things. What is going on with them? I can't blame BET for this one...OK, I can give them some of the blame...LOL. I know it starts at home, but how do we (Educators, etc.) we fix this? What can we do to help them? What becomes of the kids?

3 comments:

Saule Wright said...

Outside of the fact that our education system has been dying slowly since our favorite pres, Clinton, started allocating more money for prisons and the jail industry...our education system is flawed. We can debate endlessly on that, those that value the system, i.e. grad students and educators, stand by the system, as they should...it's worked for them. Upon closer inspection though, those very grad students that get to enroll and enjoy an Ivy situation, educate themselves much like the principles of home schooling. You learn at your pace, you study, you develop your own ideas, thus, learning actively. I read somewhere that they were starting to build homeschooling SCHOOLS, where this free learning is encouraged in a setting that allows the parents to still work 9-5.

I'm no scholar on the method, but when you look at the studies, home schooling seems to be superior in every way. In a time when the socialization of kids in school is leading to suicides, insecurities, and higher crime rates coupled with increasing class sizes and less chance for creativity (lack of art and music programs across the nation) we are raising a limited generation. We've been doing so for a while now, and it's time we wake up and look at alternative methods, what we've been doing is broke, so let's fix it.

SLC said...

Saule:

I'm no scholar on the method either, but I think it starts at home. The parents need to step up and make sure that the kids are learning. I need the parents to start caring and making education a priority. That's where it starts.

Ms. T said...

Hey

Good point. I agree. I work for an inner city college in the admissions department, although i am not a teacher, I interact with the students during enrollment time. They are required to take an admission aptitude test, that is rather (easy) and need 14 out of 50 questions correct. They do not have to do all 50 questions, but however many they complete, they have to get 14 minimum correct. It is a timed test of 12 minutes, but the questions are not hard. They are commonsense, but can throw you off. Any how, majority of the students we enroll have been out of school no longer than maybe 5 or 6 years, and cannot pass this test. Its sad to be a recent high school graduate and not pass a basic aptitude test. So yes alot of our young people are the future, and I feel like they are sliding by the seat of their pants when it comes to education. I do not dislike working for an inner city school, but I willn ot do another career college, unless its the last resort of work. I cannort be around ignorant people for too long because it will start to rub off. They can be helped but it starts at home first. I think we need more people like yourself int he school systems (inner city) to help these individuals who may not have the support at home. They can be taught by a realist who will guide them, and show them that iggnorance is not always bliss. I will keep you posted if I hear of any job openings or positions that may be available related to education. Have you thought about teaching at South Suburban since?

Don't Jack my ISH!!!