Ain't Too Proud to Beg!

I was listening to The Doug & DeDe Show last week and they were debating on a very interesting topic. Are Black people (or any other group of people, for that matter) too proud to take any type of job? There were some people that were calling in and relating their stories about how they've had to find other jobs that weren't in their field because of losing their jobs. Some folks were able to find something that was similar to the field that they either got their degree in or something in which they had prior experience. There were people that called in that weren't trying to get a job unless they could get it in their field. They weren't trying to get a job doing something else, like work at McDonald's or Wal-Mart until something better came along.

(I know you remember Calvin, don't you?)

I have a confession to make...I'm guilty of this too...Yes I am. I could've gotten a job at K-Mart, or Popeyes, or even that doggone Macy's...but I was so worried about what other would think about me, a college grad, working at a fast-food restaurant or department store. Yeah, it's a stuggling economy, but my pride was WAY too strong, and I've been broke as hell for the past 6+ months because of it. Let me give you some background: I come from a small town...and I still live closeby. Most of the folks here aren't highly educated and they are mostly negative, hence my wanting to relocate to New York City. Throughout my years, myself and most of my friends were teased because we were smart. When I went away to college and came home for breaks, I would see people from home and they would always make snide remarks about being me acting better than them because I chose to go to college. It really screwed with my psyche too.

When I graduated and returned home from school, I got a job that had nothing to do with my major. Hell, I had bills to pay and it's boring watching Maury everyday. I remember talking to a girl that I went to high school with and she said "It's a shame that you went to school for nothing." Wow...this from someone that dropped out of school. It continues to eat at me. Was school truly worth it? When I lost my job last fall, I took some time to reflect on what I really want to do...it took some time, but I've got it figured out. But, in the meantime...I'm broke. I had no intention of working at a fast-food restaurant. I guess my pride got in the way. I didn't want anyone to see me and make fun of me.

I went to work with my mother (she has a cleaning business outside of her regular job). I felt that embarrassment coming...but I needed the cash. My mom looked at me and said, "F$&k what folks have to say...you better get this money." I went and worked my butt off. As I was working, my mom came in and said, "there's pride in hard work...if you do the right thing, you're OK...at least you know you're doing good work and getting paid for it." Thanks for the reality check, Mom. I needed it...

3 comments:

mp1 said...

Yeah, us college educated folks do think we're better than everyone else. I hear that constantly from my family. It gets tiring.

I refuse to knock someone for where they work. As long as theyre making honest money, you've got to respect it. Life and the economy is a struggle right now, but eventually I think education and hardwork will reward you. Lord knows, I hope it will.

Ms. T said...

I love this Shondra! Thats what i like about you, you keep it real!!! Well i totally understand. Me being a college graduate myself, understand. As far as the ppl who thought it was cool to ridicule because you invested in an education are losers. They prob aint doing shit right now, so you wayyy better off than them, with a degree and no job, if you didnt have one. Next, right now its hard for everybody. Its all about determination. Whats ur skills, what do you enjoy doing? Staying online, going outside of the box. Believe me, i know if i got laid off, id be mad and broke, but hey, i got to keep fighting. If you did not have that degree, promose youd be way off. It shows preserverence, and the trait to finish something through the end. You invested in yourself as a black woman, versus sit around and have babies once a year, and depend on a man. I am not knocking thats lifestyle, i just think that you should be proud of yourself on what you've accomplished. keep looking for a job, and actually your not soo bad off becasue, het...you have a job, there are ppl put there who dont.

Nest regarding taking a job where your pride is bruised, yes i agree with you, i would feel the same way, but bess believe if times got rought, id work at Macy, do all types of temp jobs, i dont think i could do fast food, but i would definityley do retail. I mean sometimes you have to put it aside, but you should never have to go there becasue you can get a decent job although the pay may not be great, such as receptionist, assitant teacher, pe teacher, i mean tons of things, you may only make 8.00 and hr but your not flipping burgers, and fulltime you prob can make about 700 every pay check if you put in the time. Those are just ideas to let you know, you dont have it sooo bad. Stay confident that things will look up.

;)

SLC said...

@mp1: Thanks for stopping by! I know I'm too old to be worrying about what people say, but I just can't help it. It's an ongoing process...sigh...


@ Ms. T: Hey girl! I haven't talked to you since before you left out of town...I guess my knucklehead brother didn't tell you that I did get the job at the school district as an Assistant Teacher. Which is cool because it's close to home...no more hour plus commute! The semi-bad thing is that I don't start until August. So I've been trying to find a summer/temp job. Also, I'll be back in school in the fall for my Master's in Education. It's been a long road, but I'm glad stuff is finally working out.

Don't Jack my ISH!!!